Dairyland Auto Insurance Review
Dairyland Insurance has been selling affordable and reliable auto insurance policies since 1953. For the past 60 years, the company has specialized in serving high-risk drivers who struggle to get standard coverage due to poor credit or a bad driving record. Dairyland auto insurance is one of the only providers that sell SR-22 and non-owner insurance.
We looked at the company’s coverage, discounts, customer satisfaction ratings and financial strength to help people searching for auto insurance determine if it’s the right option for them.
Dairyland auto insurance
Dairyland only sells auto insurance and motorcycle insurance policies, which means the company has specific expertise in those areas. Dairyland also offers insurance for high-risk drivers in addition to standard car insurance policies. For every driver, Dairyland promises affordable coverage and excellent customer service.
Dairyland offers minimum and full coverage car insurance policies that meet state requirements. It also offers a few add-on coverages, non-owners insurance and SR-22 insurance. Here is a full list of available coverages from Dairyland, which include:
- Basic coverage: Dairyland sells liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Personal injury protection: Personal injury protection is required in no-fault states. It pays for injuries and medical expenses after an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
- Non-owner insurance: Non-owner insurance protects the insured from liabilities if they drive someone else’s car and get into an accident. It’s usually a good option for people who don’t own a car but occasionally borrow a friend or family member’s vehicle.
- SR-22 certificate: Those who have been convicted of a DUI/DWI will probably need an SR-22 to prove that they carry the state’s minimum required insurance coverage. Dairyland offers same-day SR-22 certificates for free.
- Towing and labor: Towing and labor coverage pays for towing to a nearby auto body shop when the car breaks down.
- Rental reimbursement: Rental reimbursement coverage pays for a rental car while the insured person’s vehicle is serviced.
- Lienholder: Lienholder coverage pays to repair custom vehicle upgrades after an accident.
- Special equipment: Special equipment coverage will pay to repair damages to special equipment, such as a car stereo, after an accident.
Dairyland also offers several discounts for more savings, including:
- Advanced quote (at least one week before policy start date)
- Payment frequency (quarterly, bi-annually or annually)
- Defensive driving course
- Anti-theft device
Reasons why Dairyland is a great option
Drivers struggling to purchase standard car insurance because of their credit score or driving record should consider a Dairyland auto insurance policy. The company specializes in high-risk policies, so most drivers who apply get approved. Dairyland’s car insurance is even available to those whose coverage has lapsed.
Dairyland is also a good option for drivers who need SR-22 insurance after a DUI or license suspension. The certificate can be purchased online, and Dairyland will file the documentation with the insured person’s state the same day. The company will not raise their rate for drivers with an SR-22, and there are no fees or surcharges.
Dairyland offers a flexible pay-as-you-go plan for drivers on a budget, which most insurance companies do not. Drivers can choose to pay their policy annually, bi-annually, quarterly or monthly. The plan also includes reinstatement and reissue options in most states, so there is less risk of a lapse in coverage.
While Dairyland is a good option for high-risk drivers, it may not be the best option for drivers with a good credit score and clean driving record, who can probably get a cheaper rate and better coverage options elsewhere.
Dairyland ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||A+|
|AM Best||A+ (Superior)|
|NAIC Complaint Index||4.42 (higher than average complaints)|
Third-party Dairyland insurance reviews indicate that the company has some strengths and weaknesses. The BBB gives Dairyland an A+ rating, but the company has an average rating of one star out of five. Additionally, Dairyland has higher than average complaints according to the NAIC Complaint Index. The company is not currently rated by J.D. Power and Associates.
However, Dairyland does have excellent financial strength. The company has an A+ rating from AM Best, which is considered “superior.” Financially strong insurance providers have enough cash flow to pay out claims soon after they occur.
Additional policies offered by Dairyland
In addition to auto insurance, Dairyland also sells motorcycle insurance. Dairyland motorcycle insurance covers all types of bikes and includes a variety of policy options. The coverages available for motorcycles includes:
- Basic coverage (collision, comprehensive, liability and medical payments)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (bodily injury and property damage)
- Guest passenger
- Optional/special equipment
- Physical damage plus
- Personal injury protection
- Rental reimbursement
- Replacement cost
- Roadside assistance
In addition to great coverage options, Dairyland also offers motorcycle insurance discounts, including:
- H.O.G. Member (Harley Owners Group)
- Rider group
- Transfer discount
Frequently asked questions
What is the best auto insurance company?
The best auto insurance company is different for every driver. Some companies are better suited for drivers who want cheap rates, while others are better for drivers who want the best customer service. To find the best car insurance company, it’s usually best to shop around for carriers to compare what they offer. Those who have difficulty finding the right fit should consider speaking with an insurance professional before purchasing.
Where is Dairyland insurance available?
Dairyland sells car and motorcycle insurance policies in 42 states. However, not all policy options and discounts are available in every state. Additionally, the regulations around SR-22 certificates vary by state.
What is SR-22 insurance?
SR-22 insurance is a certificate that proves a driver carries their state’s minimum insurance requirements. Not all drivers need an SR-22. Typically, drivers who get a DUI/DWI, have their license suspended, get caught driving without insurance or have multiple at-fault accidents are required to get it. In most states, an SR-22 will stay on a driver’s record for at least three years. Dairyland offers same-day SR-22 insurance to help drivers get back on the road quickly.